Friday, August 28, 2009

Round Up

R.I.P. Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy. There are so many that have a lot and do nothing. These two had a lot and did a lot.

R.I.P. Karla Kuskin-children's book author and illustrator.

Today, August 28 is the 45th anniversary of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech, which called for racial equality in the United States. I think Dr, King would be proud of far we have come, but we have light years to go. Every time I hear Dr. King giving this speech, every time I see this video and see all of the people marching on Washington, the blacks, the whites, the young and old, women and men, my heart just swells. I also end up in tears because I am an old softie (don't tell anyone, you'll ruin my street cred!!)








Timber Talk

I've been bumping into a lot of interesting lists of late, and you all know how I love lists. These are all from Wikipedia.

List of scandals with "gate" suffix

Blue plaques. Blue plaques are commemorative plaques that are placed in a public place. Quite a few cities have them, but I am most fascinated with the ones in the United Kingdom, specifically in London. Here is the history of London's blue plaques and here is another site about London's blue plaques. (Wikipedia has a list of the plaques as well, but there is a problem with the page at this time).

I actually like plaques period. I use to drive my family nuts when we were on vacation because I had to collect all of the pamphlets and read every plaque and every sign.

List of tool-lending libraries (yes, I like all sorts of libraries).



Gardiner's Sign List is a list of common hierglyphs complied by Sir Alan Gardiner.

Ladies are you freezing at work. I have always been a super hot person, but I too get chilly with the excessive air conditioning that is used at my place of employment and on the commuter bus I take each day. I have a couple of trusty shawls that I have had for years that I carry with me in the summer, and I always keep a sweater at work. I love that the Chilly Jilly Wrap can fold up so small and fit right in your bag.

I think trees are wonderful and I've been known to throw a fit when I see trees being cut down in the name of "progress", which usually means some stupid, modern steel office building or worse yet a whole garden of McMansions. Anywho, as much as I like trees, I also like wood. You see my dilemma. I am gaga for wooden boats. Apparently I am not the only one.


New words for 2009.




Dad posts his art, his young daughter comments on it-Tiny Art Director blog.


Am I the only one who thinks sea stacks are beautiful.











Since Blogger appears to have a bee in its bonnet, I am going to save the rest of the links for next week.

I think we all could use a bit of cheering up this week so I leave you with Laurel and Hardy like you have never seen them before.





"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power." - Washington Irving

No comments: