Thursday, August 30, 2007

Round Up

I'm going to start this entry by talking about two incredible women, Grace Paley and Kris Carr.

Grace Paley passed away last week at the age of 84. I must say that I was more a fan of Grace Paley the woman, than I was of her as a writer. Oh, I'm a fan of authors-more than a fan-a groupie; but Grace Paley wrote mostly short stories. She also wrote poetry, and I am ashamed to say I have never read any of her poems, and short stories have never been my cup of tea. What I admired about Grace Paley was her unabashed liberalism, her years of activism, her want and love of peace and justice.
This is why I and many others loved her.

Last night, between watching Serena and Roger at the U.S. Open, I happened to switch over to TLC. I ended up watching an amazing documentary, by an incredible woman, Kris Carr. The documentary is Crazy Sexy Cancer. Kris Carr found out she had a very rare form of cancer 4 years ago. This documentary tells, with much humor and bravery, how she fights her cancer and all the people she meets along the way. She also has a blog and a book. There's so much more I want to say about this incredible individual, but just watch the documentary or read her blog.

So all you here about in the news and on television is DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). Has it been awhile since you studied about this in science class? If so, DNA from the Beginning might be just the primer you need.

Da Wanda-European Etsy.

Someone sent me Babies Eating Lemons from You Tube. It's hilarious and oh so cute.

Even though I work in WDC, I still get a kick out of seeing all the monuments every day. I don't see the White House on a daily basis, but I think we Americans think, Yeah, the White House, so what. (or maybe our attitude depends upon whose "up in there"). Anywho, I don't think I've ever given much thought to where other heads of state reside. Presidential Homes Around the World doesn't include all the head of states, but it does have a few. Love the pink Casa Rosado in Argentina.

Flickr is the bomb. Two more photosets I like. Vintage books and Paris windows.

When I saw these Adinkra symbols they reminded me of my beloved hobo signs.
Kaboost-very cool chair booster.
I would love to have an heirloom book done by the Good Stock people. What a wonderful idea.
Have a great holiday weekend.
Grace Paley was asked what her dreams were for her grandchildren. Her response was, " “It would be a world without militarism and racism and greed – and where women don't have to fight for their place in the world."

No comments: