Friday, June 10, 2005

It's and Sites

It's Smokey Bear-not Smokey the Bear

It's Pikes Peak-not Pike's Peak

It's Canada Geese-not Canadian Geese


I have always said that if I am ever able to retire I would like to spend my time traveling around and going on factory tours. I would also like to read Presidential biographies and the entire Rivers of America series. I remember going on a few factory tours when I was a kid. I'm old enough to have actually gone on a tour of Hersheys-I can still see those enormous vats of chocolate. I also went to some pretzel making plant-I can't recall the name of that one. I loved it. I watch quite a few shows on Food Network, but my favorite has to be Unwrapped. I love seeing how they make so many of the food products that are on the market.

Getting back to the factory tours I found this very cool site that is a directory for factory tours. I really like how this site is arranged, plus it's lots of fun.

I've never had much of an interest in law. I believe that justice is for those that can afford it and I've always believed that. That being said, there are some types of law that do interest in . Copyright law has always interested me and animal law. I think it's interesting how so-called dog bite laws differ from state-to-state. An interesting site that addresses this aspect of doggie law and much more is Michigan State's Animal Legal and Historical Center site.

One childhood memory that I still hold dear is perusing the Pittsburgh Courier. The Pittsburgh Courier was at one time the largest and most influential black newspaper in American. My Aunt Hazel was editor-in-chief for the Courier from 1974-1971. She was the first African American (or my term American of African descent) woman to hold that position for a nationally circulated weekly newspaper. She had started as a stringer for the paper back in the 40's. Sadly Aunt Hazel is no longer with us, but every time I come across something about the Courier I think of her.

I came across the Teenie Harris Archive Project . Teenie Harris was a photographer for the Courier. The photographs are wonderful on this site and it really tells the viewer all about Pittsburgh "back in the day". There is so much to be said for Teenie Harris. He was nicknamed "One Shot" because he could capture outstanding images with just one shot. A lot of the images in the gallery have not been identified so if any of my 3 readers can help the University of Pittsburgh History Department with this please do. I must say that I until recently I have never been that excited about photographs. I don't know if it has anything to do with my being the most un-photogenic person on the planet or what. I have always enjoyed group photographs though in general and group photographs of women in particular. There's just so many nuances in these photographs that I find fascinating. Plus, I love looking at the hairstyles and clothing that was in fashion at the time. Something like this.

I have been an Anglophile all of my life. I have never been to the British Isles, but hopefully I will get to visit there before I kick. This site attracted me because the viewer can see images of unusual things like this.The Geograph British Isles project is attempting to to collect a geographically representative photograph for every square kilometre of the British Isles. The site user can search for images, add images and view a whole list of images that are on the site.

That is all for now.

No comments: