Thursday, March 15, 2012

Round Up

R.I.P Benedict Freedman-author of Mrs. Mike (Berkly/Penguin). He co-wrote the book with his wife Nancy in 1947 and it still has a cult following. Mr. Benedict started out as an aeronautical engineer and worked on Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose. He really wanted to be a mathematician and he became one when he was in his 50's.

Discover Canadian books at The 49th Shelf.

There are so many book illustrators that I am ga-ga over and I've addd Caroline Woodward to my list.

Go to the website Simply Read Books and perform a search. So adorable!!!

50 wonderful books for an 11-year old. Oh my, I've missed some of these.

Love maps and the maps at They Draw and Travel are great. If you can draw why not submit a map of someplace special to you.

And speaking of maps, look at all of these map pillows.

The 10 best fictional bookstores in pop culture.

Relax, take your shoes off and peruse Wayfare magazine.

36 Hours is one of my favorite columns from my favorite newspaper.

The Forest Lodge Library in Cable, Wisconsin is my style of library. Just seeing the photographs evokes the scent of pine woods and settling down in a cozy chair with a good book while the snow falls silently to the ground. (okay, I got carried away with my longings there).

As many of you have heard after 244 years the print version of Encyclopedia Brittanica will no longer be published. I can still see the set we had when I was growing up. I read it from cover to cover and learned so much. A much more fertile brain in those days....

The last volume of the Dictionary of American Regional English has been published. Finally. I am thrilled and wish I could afford to have this in my home. Hours and hours of perusing fun.

2 books that have sparked an interest: Emma's Journey by Claire Fossard and Etienne Fossard, and In a Different Light: Reflections and Beauty of Wise Women of Color by Dorothy Bailey.

That's all I have for this week. It's going to be in the 80's today and that mean that I am not A HAPPY CAMPER. It's bad enough living in a boiling inferno from May until my beloved October, but it's MARCH for heaven's sake. That's my rant for today.


"Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place." Zora Neale Hurston

No comments: